Reacting to the news of new investment for wave power and planning permission for the world’s largest tidal array, Dr Richard Dixon, Director of Friends of the Earth Scotland said:
“This is great news for renewable energy in Scotland. Harnessing the huge energy in the tides of the Pentland Firth is a major engineering challenge but this scheme will prove technologies and techniques which will be important in future tidal energy schemes around the world
“Tidal and wave power are particularly important for Scotland but they will also be a major plank of the fight against climate change around the world. As a global leader Scotland can create green electricity, reduce climate emissions and generate new jobs.”
1. BBC - Pentland Firth tidal turbine project given consent - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-24100811
2. Friends of the Earth Scotland is:
* Scotland's leading environmental campaigning organisation
* An independent Scottish charity with a network of thousands of supporters and active local groups across Scotland
* Part of the largest grassroots environmental network in the world, uniting over 2 million supporters, 77 national member groups, and some 5,000 local activist groups - covering every continent.